Running an online business was never something I thought of doing. Back in the late 90s when I graduated from college we had just gotten email and the internet was this slow thing that I rarely had time to wait on.
(***This post contains affiliate links.)
Fast forward 20 years and I don’t know what I’d do without this online world. When I started my business Note from the Portable I had no clue all that I would need to learn.
5 Tips for Starting an Online Business:
Don’t get lost in the world of social media. Before you start selling you need something sell. And once you start selling make time for creating.
1. Spend money on a good design
My first attempt at a blog was hilarious. My design looked like that of a two year old drawing. I started free of course and went with blogger. It was great for my needs at the time, but now I look way more professional with WordPress and a design from Designs by Kassie.
Using a good host like Bluehost is a great way to get your site up and running!
2. Create 3-4 freebies that give your readers a taste of what you offer.
These freebies are like that appetizer. Give you just enough to make you want more! You can also use these to build your lists of followers.
3. Start building an email list.
Now here is where you put those freebies.
I started with a free service. That was a mistake. The design of the free site was a struggle for me with very little customer support. It wasn’t long before I started having to pay. I should have started my journey with ConvertKit. When I started everything was so easy. They had trainings to get you started, a customer service team that checked in on you and responded to emails quickly. The automation has made my business run more efficiently since I can schedule sequences to go on specific days.
4. Take classes, listen to podcasts, and read other blogs.
– Tabitha Carro’s Smartphone Marketing School gives tips and idea on designing and marketing on your phone. Great videos to guide your through each step and handouts that you can use for future reference. One of the best courses I have taken!
– Learn More About Blogging and Marketing in the Teacher Seller School. This course is more for those writing for Teachers Pay Teachers, but the information on blogging is fabulous. Great tips for generating ideas and how to use affiliates correctly.
– OBSESSED by Melissa Cassera is amazing. One entire year of lessons. Each week you get a new lesson and plenty of time to implement her ideas. Each lesson is about 15-20 pages long with inspiration to keep you learning.
5. Learn from the best.
Get up to date on what’s happening in the online world with these online leaders.
Want More Ideas? Head over to this board.