When you are rushing through your science standards at this time of year, take some time to check for student understanding. I know that time is closing in, you have way more to teach than time left in the day. Let students demonstrate their understanding with these writing prompts. These FREE Science Prompts are great ways to integrate subjects and easy the “time” worry.
When I started thinking of ways to deepen my students understanding of what I was teaching I remembered this story. Here are a few of the Science Writing Prompts I created with this in mind.
Science Writing Prompts
1. Describe your day if you lived in a world without gravity.
– This topic gets kids thinking outside of the box. First you can assess their understanding of gravity, what gravity does, and how it works. This prompt also gets your creative kids motivated to make others listen and laugh.
2. How would your life be different if electricity had not been invented?
– For kids in this technology era it is so hard to think of everything that we use on a daily basis that involves electricity. The bonus to this prompt is that you get to assess some of your history/social studies standards as well. You could use this as a great discussion topic for screen time.
3. What would happen if a volcano erupted near your home?
– This topic gives student the opportunity to show understanding of rocks, minerals, and fossil formation. Students also get the chance to show knowledge or plant regrowth and how a volcano erupts.
4. Pretend you are a paleontologist. Describe your recent find and how you discovered it.
– This topic allows you to assess student understanding of the job of paleontologists, as well as check for understanding of the steps in forming a fossil.
5. Write an essay telling why we don’t need to protect the planet.
-We all know the reasons why we need to protect the environment. This post will take them outside of the box and it’s harder to think of why we should do something that is wrong.